Singapore Grand Prix
Join Live Racing to watch Singapore Grand Prix live from Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore. Catch all the 2012 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix F1 action live — practice, qualifying, and race — on 21–23 September 2012 or anytime after via replay. Access Singapore GP Formula 1 championship streams and feeds aggregated from sources worldwide. Never miss a race again!
- Next Race Date — 23rd September 2012
- Location — Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, Singapore
- Number of Laps — 61
- Circuit Length — 5.073 km (3.152 mi)
- Race Distance — 309.453 km (192.285 mi)
Singapore GP Overview
The Singapore Grand Prix is a popular recent addition to the Formula One schedule. The race is a street circuit, which takes place at the Marina Bay area of Singapore and as part of a week long ‘Grand Prix Season’ event, which includes parties, race-themed events, music concerts and shopping experiences. The race takes place at night and with the cars, which adds to the unique atmosphere of the race.
The Singapore Grand Prix is held on a street circuit in the Marina Bay area of Singapore and is a tight track with 23 corners taken in an anti-clockwise direction. The circuit length is 5.073 km and with the race scheduled for 61 laps the total race distance is 309.316 km. The current lap record is held by Kimi Raikkonen who recorded a superb time of 1:45.599 in 2008.
History of Formula 1 in Singapore
The first Singapore Grand Prix was held in 1961 and was initially known as the Orient Year Grand Prix. However, when Singapore gained its independence from Malaysia in 1965 the Thompson Road circuit was renamed as the Singapore Grand Prix.
The Grand Prix was first accepted as part of the Formula One schedule in 2008 when it became the first race in the class to be held at night under floodlights. The timings of the event ensured that the race could be held at a convenient time for European audiences and has added to the popularity of the race.
Singapore F1 Grand Prix Key Moments
- Fernando Alonso leads from the first lap to the finish to claim his second victory at the circuit.
- Modifications are made to the circuit to improve overtaking and Lewis Hamilton dominates to pick up a good win.
- High kerbs cause a number of accidents as the drivers struggle with the night conditions. Fernando Alonso puts in a good performance to pick up a solid victory.